The Civic is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
The Civic may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. This policy is effective from 1 May 2018, in line with the new GDPR guidelines.
We may collect the following information:
- name and job title
- contact information including email address
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers
When booking tickets through The Civic you will be asked if you are willing to consent to us holding your personal information. This consent must be freely given, specific, informed and unambiguous. All new customers must provide consent before they are able to receive any direct marketing from The Civic.
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping.
- To help us improve our products and services.
- Advising you of any last minute changes to the programme where tickets have already been purchased or reserved.
- We may periodically send promotional email about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone or post.
- We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to enable you to visit other websites of interest easily. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties* or are required by law to do so.
Customer Data Requests
You may request details of personal information which we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable and this will be provided within one calendar month. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to Becki Tovey, The Civic, Hanson Street, Barnsley, S70 2HZ.
The Civic is not obliged to provide this information if the request is felt to be manifestly unfounded or excessive.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.
*Touring companies are able to access generic information through the Audience Finder Show Stats website, but no specific personal information is passed on from The Civic
Data Protection Policy
This Data Protection Policy sets out how The Civic uses, manages and protects any information you give us about yourself when making a booking with us or a purchase from us.
The Civic is committed to protecting customer privacy and protecting customer preferences.
No information or data we hold on record about our customers will ever be sold, distributed or shared with third parties.
What information/data do we collect about our customers?
- If you make a booking with us, purchase a ticket from us or make a donation to us, we will request from you personal data that enables us to process the transaction for you.
- This will include your name, address, contact information and if appropriate payment information.
- If you make a donation and agree to gift aid that donation, we may need to reference the data held with us about you in order for us to claim the gift aid.
- If you are coming to an event or you will be hiring our venue for your own use, we will also ask if you or any of your party that are visiting us have any access or special requirements.
- This data will be held on your customer record within our box office system, Ticketsolve.
- At the time of booking we will ask your permission to hold this information about you on our system.
- At the time of booking if you are a new customer you will also be asked if you would like to receive information from us about future events or projects. This would normally take the form of email communication or paper brochure being sent to you.
- Unless you give us your consent to this we will not send you any of this type of information.
- If you state that you do not wish to receive any information from us this will remain your preference setting on your account unless you tell us otherwise.
What do we use the information/data we collect about our customers for?
If you give your permission for us to hold a customer record on our system we will use this information for the following:
- To process your transaction and ensure it is done so accurately.
- To contact you should there be any changes to the advertised programme.
- To ensure we meet your needs when you visit our building in relation to access or individual needs.
It is appropriate to ask about access requirements or individual needs to ensure we can make sure your visit to us is the best it can be.
For example: if you or a member of your party are a wheelchair user we will ensure that you have a wheelchair space in the auditorium as part of your ticket booking. We will also make sure that duty management staff are notified on the day of the performance for evacuation and safety purposes.
If you give your further consent to us communicating with you about our programme and wider activities:
- We will save your preferences and ensure you receive information appropriate to those preferences i.e. a season brochure through the post, an email about forthcoming exhibitions.
- We may contact you for feedback on your experience of The Civic to help improve our products and services.
How do we look after your data?
We will never share your data with any third parties unless required to by law.
Your data is stored securely on our Box Office system.
Ticketsolve our Box Office provider acts as Data Processor on behalf of The Civic.
Ticketsolve and The Civic have implemented appropriate measures to protect against accidental loss, destruction, damage, alteration or disclosure of data.
You are entitled to have a copy of the information we hold about you and you can have any inaccurate information corrected at any time.
You are not entitled to receive and we will not supply any information held about others.
Removal of customer records
You can contact us and request we remove your details from our system at any time you wish.
We will delete your details immediately at your request unless you have a live booking with us on the system.
In that instance we will ask if you are happy for us to delete your record once you’re booked event or performance has taken place. This is to ensure we can contact you if there are any changes to the arrangements for the event you have tickets for.
You can contact our Box office as follows:
By telephone 01226 327000 during opening hours –
Monday to Friday 10am-6pm
Sunday 10am-4pm - When we have a scheduled family performance.
The Box Office remains open prior to all performances and for a further 30 minutes after the start of each performance.
By email - firstname.lastname@example.org